Case Study: How to adapt a "Biker" campaign for German-speaking Markets
Whenever you try a design in a new niche and need to choose whether to target men or women, target women first; women tend purchase online more so they are the preferred target audience when testing a new niche.
You don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time you want to launch a campaign, sometimes it’s enough to see what worked in one market and apply it to another. Motorcycling is one of the hottest and most passionate niches in the US and spring/early summer is the perfect season to start these campaigns. You can find loads of design examples that worked on teeview.phatograph.com or on teespring.com. Just tsearch “motorcycling” or “biker” and scroll through the list.
Differences compared to the US
There are many niches in the US that will work in Europe but the design style might be slightly different. Designs for the US biker niche tends to include things like skulls, flames, etc. When we researched the German motorcycling niche, we noticed that it is less “intense”. Bikers in Germany are still very passionate about this hobby and it is also popular among women. That means that the female German biker niche is a good one to target but we needed a more subtle design for it.
Pick the Design
As it is sometimes easier to test a niche with a design for women, we decided to pick a funny design for female bikers. You can do the research for a design in English and translate it or you can partner up with a local or interact in forums to get more insight and information. The most popular phrase we found, which had been used on tee campaigns, was “Who needs a horse? Real princes ride motorcycles”. As this slogan was extremely popular, we decided to try something similar for women. After more research for general slogans, sayings, quotes etc. we came across the slogan “Who needs glass slippers? This princess wears motorcycle boots!” which fit perfectly. We added a niche specific graphic to the text and voila, we were ready to go!
The most popular color among the biker community is black. Therefore, we made sure to have a black color option available for every item style featured in the campaign and set black as the items’ default color. We also added some other popular colors like navy blue, royal blue and red. We added a variety of item styles to appeal different tastes: a unisex tee, a women’s tee, tank top and a sweatshirt. The prices for the tees were set to €18.99 incl. VAT and €29.99 incl VAT for sweatshirts. The title and campaign description was short and in German.
Facebook Target Audience
- Country: Germany, Austria
- Gender: Women
- Age: 20 – 55
- Motorcycle brands (Google the most popular motorcycle brands in Germany among women): Specific: Kawasaki er6n, bmw r 1200 gs. General: Kawasaki, BMW Motorrad
- Races (Google famous events and races in Germany): Yamaha Motor Racing
- Clothing and equipment stores (international & national ones, online & offline): Motorcycle superstore
- Magazines & blogs: Motorrad magazin, Motorrad (magazine), motorrad news blog
- Other websites (e.g. selling and buying platforms): Chopperexchangecom
- General terms (if the audience is still too small add some general interests, go to pons.eu and translate some generic keywords into German): Motorrad fahren (= motorcycling), Motorrad (= motorcycle)
Audience Size: 86,000
Ad copy (in English):
- Are you also a biker woman? Click like!
- Get yours here ==> campaign link
- Tag your friends and share the image
Top list of purchased styles and colors:
- Women’s crew-neck black
- Tank top black
- Tank top cherry red
- Unisex crew-neck black
- Relaunch the same design after 6 weeks and target a new or broader audience
- Launch a new design in this niche with the same targeting and email previous buyers
- Replace the sweatshirt option with the hoodie or women’s v-neck style